October 8, 2014 - Caregiver stress

Being a caregiver to someone who is dying of a serious illness is exhausting and at some point, a lot of dying people need to go into care of have respite help because the caregiver or caregivers cannot handle the job anymore or they are burnt out from all the work. It is very rude when an outsider refers to the caregiver or caregivers as selfish and disgraceful for wanting to put the dying family member into care because providing the care is proving overwhelming. If outsiders want a say in the care of a dying person, they need to be willing to provide assistance to the family instead of just sitting on the outside and trying to tell the family of the dying person how to manage things.

This story comes because my dad's best buddy, Steve Grainger of Lethbridge, visited and during his visit, I mentioned that my mom was tired and thinking of putting my dad in a community bed at Good Sams so she could rest, as caretaking was exhausting. Steve called me disgraceful and rude for saying that and I tore off in tears down to my room until he left. Steve knew I had a disability and he volunteers at a therapeutic horse riding place in Lethbridge for people with disabilities, yet he's rude to me?! The bastard! I can never forgive him for that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 20, 2020 - Star Trek Picard: Episode 5 - Stardust City Rag

October 16, 2018 - The Conners

Renting A Mortality - written by Heather Cameron - October 13, 2014