October 30, 2014 - The Funeral

We had the funeral for dad today and before people came, we opened the casket and he looked so tiny and I read him a letter that his friend had written him and then I touched and kissed his head; it was soap-like and it was so emotional.

My father's funeral was this afternoon and I not only gave his personal history, I also wrote a poem to honor him and the occasion, and I also got to read a letter that his best friend, Steve Grainger, had written for him. Before people came for to meet the family, Mom and I had a moment alone in the Relief Society Room with the open casket and I read the letter before I touched his forehead and gave him a beautiful kiss before saying a final goodbye. He looked so tiny and felt like dried soap.

Building An Eternity

I dream of a world
Where cancer never existed.
With alcohol dead in the water
and addictions all washed up.


People always being healthy
cheerful, loving, and full of faith.
No wars, killings, or tragedies
to mar the future as it has the past.

Cancer has claimed yet another life.
Yet, the soul is thriving in heavenly warmth.
A disease has been made a fool of this time
For the longsufferer is now free.

Death is not an end, but a brand new start.
A chance to show true passion and heart.
No longer bound by the strict rules of the world.
Now a glorious, joyful eternity can begin to be built.

written by Heather Leigh Cameron
(c) October 2014.
***

There are other entries between October 16 and 26 and between October 26 and today and I will get around to posting them when I feel like it.

11:47 p.m.: I keep hearing 'Abide With Me' in my head and picturing everyone singing it and how I tried to sing the songs, but couldn't because I had to cry, but by God's grace, I was able to get through my portion of the service without crying and the Spirit prompted me to add a positive note to the end of my dad's history. After the service, Bobby served as a pallbearer and helped carry Dad's casket from the chapel out to the hearse. I know that was super hard for him and I am proud of him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 20, 2020 - Star Trek Picard: Episode 5 - Stardust City Rag

October 16, 2018 - The Conners

Renting A Mortality - written by Heather Cameron - October 13, 2014